Tuesday, August 30, 2011

This One's For You, Kathy

Tonight, as I took my dog out to go to the bathroom, I noticed that there was a giant slug slowly making its way across the sidewalk. I bent down and watched it in fascination for several minutes. I know most people probably don't agree with me here, but I think slugs are such cool little creatures.


(Photo Credit for this awesome picture here)
Watching this slug made me think of my good friend Kathy--not because she reminds me of a slug; she doesn't!--but because of her frustration with the e x t r e m e l y  s l o w  pace of Lyme disease treatment.

Kathy, my dear, you may be going at a slug's pace, but YOU ARE GOING! That slug will get wherever it is that slugs go, and you, Kathy, will get to where ever you are going. Just as our friend Melissa reminded us, "The obstacle is the path."

In the morning when the sun comes up, everywhere that the slug walked will have a beautiful rainbow trail in its place, proving that it made it to where ever it is that slugs go, and reminding us that slow can be beautiful, too. Kathy, I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing the rainbow you leave everywhere you go, and I look forward to talking about slugs (and worms!) with you in the future! XOXO



5 comments:

  1. Such a fantastic post, my friend. You're an amazing writer! I wonder if a snail ever gets frustrated that the pace is slow. Or maybe he just accepts...because it is what it is. Regardless...I love this metaphor! Thank you for reaching out to our dear frend, Kathy, as well. Love you Kathy! You have a whole world waiting for you! And it will wait as long as it takes, so just keep inching along. We'll be right by your side!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie Murphy SemargeAugust 30, 2011 at 12:32 PM

    Fantastic post that has left me in tears.. Thank you all for loving my sister so.. Love you guys:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! Thanks so much for your comment on my blog. Is pink eye common with Lyme? If so, I'm really starting to think what I have is LD.

    Have a good day!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful Alyson...great metaphor and such a gentle loving "word" hug for your friend..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alyson..you are such a sweet, caring, awesome, wonderful, funny, loving friend. Thank you, thank you, thank you for the sweet wonderful post. I love you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete