Saturday, November 19, 2011

Article About Lyme Disease

This is one of the best articles I've read about how dangerously misdiagnosed Lyme disease is. According to this article, the average Lyme patient sees seven doctors before getting properly diagnosed, although I'd venture to say that that is an extremely conservative number. By that point, the disease has already spread throughout the entire body, turning it into a profoundly difficult to treat disease, as evidenced in this heart-wrenching story about Billy Wallace.  
The article states that, "Lyme disease cases increased from about 17,700 in 2000 to nearly 30,000 by 2009, according to the CDC."  The CDC has stated on their website that the actual number of cases of Lyme disease may be up to ten times higher. That would mean the number of cases increased from 177,000 in 2000 to nearly 300,000 by 2009. Don't forget that (by a very conservative estimate) only one in seven doctors is able to properly diagnose Lyme disease.
How many more Billy Wallaces will it take to awaken the medical field of this crisis? Because of the lack of knowledge about Lyme disease, Billy Wallace and hundreds of thousands of others, including me, will be fighting this unfathomably disabling disease for the rest of our lives.

1 comment:

  1. Very good article Alyson...and very scary and sobering too. I often am stopped cold by how quickly this disease rips a body apart....and it brings me to my kneels in gratitude that I was able to live so long without a diagnosis! 23 yrs. It makes me grateful for every morning I wake up to another day! Hope you are doing better with shots? Take care.

    ReplyDelete