Saturday, October 29, 2011

Happy First Birthday!

(photo credit here)

Happy Birthday, Adventures in Lymeland! One year ago today, I started this blog. I'm not really sure which is harder for me to believe--the fact that I've been blogging for so long or the fact that I've been sick for so long.

Through my blog, I've gotten to know so many amazing and courageous Lyme friends that I wouldn't have otherwise met. Having people who truly understand the pain and frustration of living with Lyme disease has been an essential part of my healing journey. The love and encouragement I have received from new friends and old friends all over the world who have read my blog blows me away! I get excited to read each and every comment I receive! (Well, maybe not so much the spam...)

I spent some time today reading through some of my old posts. It was very surreal--my memory has been so greatly affected by Lyme disease that I had absolutely no recollection of writing most of my posts! Did I really make it through so much....crap?! Who was this strong and brave woman I was reading about? Who was this woman, getting knocked down time and again and getting back up every time? Me? Really?!

I've recently started a painful and difficult treatment. I truly believe it's my best option at remission. My closest friends have heard me privately buckling under the strain. "I can't do this anymore!" "I want to quit! Let me throw in the towel, please!" Rereading my old posts-- reacquainting myself with that strong and courageous warrior woman who I forget lives inside of me--has given me renewed strength and hope. I've come too far to give up now!

I love having this blog as a keepsake to relive my forgotten triumphs in my fight to win my health back. Last October, I was almost completely housebound. My pain levels were often unbearable, and I was too sick to handle antibiotics. My failing body was even rejecting my supplements. It was a very scary time!

I've got a long way to go still, but it is so encouraging to see how much ground I've already covered. I look forward to many, many more blog posts! Much love and thanks to all of you! <3

“It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end." Ursula K. Leguin

6 comments:

  1. I love you, Alyson. Thanks for being a bright light on an otherwise dark journey. OOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd rather you not be sick, but at least it's helped you discover what a wonderful writer you are. Love you, and I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a very gifted writer, Alyson, and more importantly you are a strong and courageous woman for sure! I am thankful to be a small part of your journey ~ it makes mine easier...God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such an amazing woman Alyson! I am so happy to know you...even under these crappy circumstances. Keep fighting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inspiring, beautiful and creative posts every time. Always worth reading. I'm glad it gives you an outlet, a diary, and a support system.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just came across your blog and love it! I was recently diagnosed with Lyme in July and have been struggling to stay positive. I have two little boys so it has been hard trying to keep up with them while fighting to get better. :-). Thank you so much for blogging about your experience with this! I have just started a blog a few weeks ago where you can read my story. http://www.cosmomomwithatwistoflyme.com

    Brandi :-)

    ReplyDelete