Thursday, June 9, 2011

Falling Down

A few days ago, I was walking downtown and I noticed a man in front of me with a huge limp--most likely a birth defect of some nature. All of a sudden, he fell down. By the time I was able to reach him to help him, he'd already managed to pull himself up off the hard concrete and dust himself off. My heart broke for him when I realized that no one else had offered him any help, or even a second look, for that matter!

I asked him if he was alright. He laughed it off and said he was used to falling down, but he really appreciated me asking. I got the impression that he wasn't used to people showing him much concern when he stumbled.

We talked briefly and we went our separate ways, but I couldn't stop thinking about him. Here was a man who was used to falling down over and over, yet not only did he pick himself back up, but he also managed to see the humor in his situation.

Tonight, I'm thinking about that man once again, as my body is overcome with pain and I can no longer deny that my own body is stumbling once again from Lyme disease. It is not abrupt like an actual fall, but rather, I've been falling in slow motion for a few weeks now. However, I can no longer deny it: I am relapsing.

As I struggle to come to terms with what this means for me and my family, I draw from the strength of the man who fell down and picked himself back up again.



"Fall down seven times, get up eight times."  Japanese proverb.


9 comments:

  1. Ups and downs, ups and downs....Praying for you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! I was hoping you wouldnt get back to the place I am in right now. I hope this is a quick one and you bounce back soon! Keep on fighting girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep up the fight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you Alyson! I'm sorry you are taking a turn, but it's just a tiny detour. Hang in there, my friend. Better days are coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there, Alyson. You can beat this...

    XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been following your story for a few days now since I suffer from Lyme too. I am so sorry you are relapsing, it is horrendous. I never know when I wake up in the morning what kind of a day I will have. It helps me to resign myself to taking it one day at a time, and remembering on bad days that I also have good days. My best wishes are with you.
    Shadow

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your description of a slow fall into a relapse is exactly what has happened to me over the past couple of months. Discouraging, but resistance only makes it worse I think. It will pass, Alyson. It will change...things will improve, friend.
    I wanted to thank you for your post about me..what a sweetheart you are to think of me. I continue to be in a very low place physically and struggling some emotionally, but seeing God's hand in my life and experiencing his love is seeing me through it.
    Stay steady Alyson, remember you are a strong and beautiful woman of God and better days are ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much, everyone! I should add that even though I'm relapsing, at this point I can still function, so for now I'm enjoying that!

    ReplyDelete