Sunday, December 11, 2011

Crazy Week

Earlier in the week, I was driving down the interstate when my car hood flew up, shattering the windshield and completely blinding me. Amazingly, I was able to get safely off the road without wrecking, but I was quite shaken up, and the sound of shattering glass took me straight back to my car wreck a few years ago. Needless to say, I've had a more stressful than normal week and my body is feeling the effects of it.

Like a stalker lurking in the shadows, my Lyme disease was waiting for just such an opportunity to take advantage of the extra stress load on my body. My list of current symptoms is growing faster than a pregnant woman binge eating on ice cream, and I've been reacquainted with a slew of old symptoms that have been silent for months.

I did have some "good" days thrown into my kind-of-crazy week. I was able to make dinner a few times, which was great because I love to cook, but am not able to do it much anymore. I even had one day where I felt good enough to clean the microwave--a task that is way down at the bottom of the list of things to catch up on when chronic illness lives in the house. No one has ever been more excited to scrub a disgusting, germy mess before, and I'm certain I heard the microwave let out a big sigh of relief at being sparkling clean again.

I had a lovely visit with my horse earlier in the week. I got to ride and bask in a rare 65 degree sunshiney day. I've been riding Fjóla--although not nearly as much as I wish--bareback, bridleless and without reins. It is truly amazing. She really is my equine soul mate and I can't believe how lucky I am that she's mine (and I am hers!).

Yesterday, I was very sick and was bed-bound the whole day. Even though it was a difficult day, it was still a beautiful reminder of just how much progress I've made. Sometimes, a little perspective is not a bad thing. I've learned enough from this disease to know that every day is a completely new and different day; just because I'm laid up one day, doesn't mean that I will be laid up the next day. And just because I'm hurting one moment, doesn't mean I will be hurting the next moment.

Today, I'm up and about again. I'm achy, but I'm not bed-bound. I'm going to take it easy today, but I have my fingers crossed that this day includes a great big hug to my favorite little pony.


  1. Goodness, you are the second blogger friend I have read about who had car crises. So glad you are okay, but again it amazes me how quickly the Lyme pounces. So glad you have had pony time. Lets hope for more bed free days ahead.

  2. Allow me to introduce you to the easiest way to clean your microwave. Get a glass dish, microwave safe of course, and fill half full of water and turn microwave on for a few min. When the time is over, the food and gunk is all soft and wipes right off from the steam of the water.

    I'm so sorry about your windshield accident. That had to be terrifying!!

    Yes, Lyme does seem to know exactly when our bodies are at our weakest and strike right then. That is how my whole journey with chronic illness started.

    I hope and pray that you will find relief soon!! Blessings!!! <3 <3 <3

  3. What a scary experience! I am so glad you were able to pull over and that you were ok. I'm sorry that the lyme is taking advantage of your situation. I hate when that happens!

    I love to cook too. Unfortunately, these days, I do it less and less. Yesterday I felt ambitious and made enchiladas, pico de gallo, and a homemade apple pie. After I was finished, I could barely move...another suttle reminder that I cannot do what I once could. I am glad you had a few fun days in the kitchen, and the microwave...well, mine was mocking me-saying "Alyson cleaned her microwave!" :D

    I hope today is bright and happy! And I hope you are feeling well enough to have some fun.