Thursday, April 5, 2012

Total Extinction

It's time for me to begin weaning myself off of my three times a week Bicillin injections for treatment of my chronic Lyme disease. Now, you would think that this would be the kind of change I'd be jumping for joy at. I mean, seriously, who wouldn't want to ditch several-minutes-long, pain-in-the-butt (literally and figuratively!) shots three times a week?! Me, apparently! Change means facing the unknown, and for me the unknown means changing a treatment that is working really, really well.

Monday was my 72nd shot--the six month marker for me. I had been working toward that goal, well, for six months, obviously. My friend and I joked that I would reach "total extinction" (remission) at the six month point. While I wasn't magically healed by the 72nd shot, I cannot deny that these shots have brought me farther than any other treatment I've done.

Alas, I am not in remission, and that means--like it or not--it is time for me to soldier on with the next part of my treatment. Last night was my first (planned) night skipping a shot and I was terrified of how my body would respond to this change. I worried myself into a panic yesterday.

Sometimes, you have to learn a lesson over and over before it sinks in: When you dwell on fear, it grows and grows. I realized last night that I was unconsciously choosing to make the fear of the unknown a thousand times worse than facing the actual experience, and that was the last thing I wanted to do.

I decided today I needed a change in attitude, and I must say, when you go looking for motivation instead of dwelling on fear, motivation has a way of making you look like quite the fool! I took myself out to lunch alone today--a very rare occasion for me, since I'm the mother of two young kids--and I noticed that the man sitting at the table next to me was sporting a neck brace, an eye patch and a cast on his arm.

Poor guy, I thought to myself. But then I realized that I was the miserable one feeling sorry for myself, despite the fact that I was still feeling pretty decent considering the skipped shot. This man was smiling, laughing and having a wonderful lunch with a friend. If I didn't think it would break him, I probably would have gotten up and hugged him!
 
Well, what can I say? I learn my lessons the hard way! Don't most of us, though? Anyway, enough feeling sorry for myself; enough moping about having to be sick for a while again (So we meet again, Flagyl!). Enough! It's time to move forward.


“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.” Helen Keller

5 comments:

  1. You have done so well, I know it must be difficult to think about, but hopefully you have come far enough this new round will not be as bad. I think it is great you are aware of your fears and doing something to counteract them...Our fears are always bigger than the truth I think....With hugs and good thoughts coming your way....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you were able to get 6 months worth!!! Keep on truckin my dear, we WILL make it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying/Hoping/Wishing/Hoping Flagyl is the last leg of the treatment, friend. Good Luck. As always, my fingers are crossed for you. XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep up the amazing attitude! Love you and am so proud of you and your fight.
    -Trina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said! "When you dwell on fear it grows and grows!" Reminds me of the buddha and how he talked about the planting of seeds... what we plant, and what we tend to, will grow. So when we tend to fear we grow fear.

    ReplyDelete