Saturday, January 29, 2011

Acupuncture

Today I had a new adventure in Lymeland. I did something I said I would never do: I tried acupuncture. When I said that I would never try it, I knew nothing about Lyme disease or the pain it causes.

I have made improvements since I started my antibiotic treatment and I try to remind myself of that, but I decided it was time for something to help me cope with my pain. I long since gave up taking medicine for my pain, because nothing I've tried touches my pain levels. So, I went searching for something else.

Several friends recommended an acupuncturist in my area and so I finally caved in and went for my first treatment today. First, I did an ionic foot bath to help with detox. The water color changes as toxins are being removed from your body. First it turned orange, and then it turned brown, and then it turned black and frothy. It was both the coolest and grossest thing I've ever watched! It pulled a lot of yeast out of my body, which was no surprise to me since I've battled a sugar addiction for some time now. Wouldn't you just love to see a picture of the disgusting junk that came out of my body?! (You know you want to view it large!)

Next, I had a consultation with the acupuncturist. I wasn't sure what to expect and I was nervous. She was very knowledgeable about Lyme disease, and treats a lot of people in my area, and she put me at ease. She put an infrared heat lamp above my hip to help with my hip pain, which was very severe today, and it definitely helped. Next she inserted the needles, which only took about 30 seconds. She said there were 12 needles, though I thought there were significantly less. I felt a few tiny pricks when some of the needles went in, but not even enough to make me flinch. Then she left the room while I rested with the needles in for a half an hour. She told me I might feel cold or tingly or have involuntary muscle twitching. The only thing I felt was a weird tingling sensation in my forehead.

I go back next week for another treatment. Sometimes it can take a few times before you notice a difference. Hopefully this will bring me the relief I've been looking for!

1 comment: