Friday, August 26, 2011

Knot Having Much Fun

When I got sick with Lyme disease, I'm fairly certain my back and neck muscles signed some kind of bizarre contract with the Lyme spirochetes granting them full permission to build their city in my muscles. There are countless very stubborn (and quite painful!) muscle knots all along the muscles in my back and up my neck that refuse to release, much to the frustration of my massage therapist. I get massages at least once a week; I've tried visualization, heat, pretty much anything you can think of.

Two night ago, during my massage, the knots finally gave in and broke up! I was ecstatic and for once, pain-free in my back and neck! However, when I woke up the next day--yesterday--every one of those pesky knots were back and the pain was back. I guess those busybody spirochetes built their city right back up while I was sleeping. Today, the pain in my neck is ridiculous. It feels like I have whiplash. It hurts to turn my neck. I feel like a little old lady!

I have a lot more energy now, so I know the knots are not merely from being inactive. I also never had them before I got sick. I'm curious, do other Lymies have this same problem with muscle knots? Anyone have any luck with getting rid of the knots?



7 comments:

  1. I get them in my neck. My masseuse does that cranial sacral stuff and he gets the knots out each time but they are back when I see him again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never have knots but I do notice one around my left shoulder. The 1/2 hr massage didnt seem to break it up at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister (who has yet to be diagnosed, but we all think she has it...her included) has terrible 'pinched nerves' in her neck. She also gets a lot of massages, does yoga, acupuncture, etc. but no luck. :( I'm sorry you are in pain. Hope treatment knocks it out for you for good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I have them in my shoulders and in my back too. My hubby works on them for me, but have no luck in making them permanently go away. I think it is a perfect storm of- lyme that causes the spasms that mess up the aliment in the spine which pinches the nerves that causes more spasms. It's hard to break up that cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too, neck problems for years, spams, pinched nerves and feeling like someone drilled a 3 inch long nail right where my neck meets my head. Tried regular massages with chiro but it keeps coming back, like the cat "the came back the every next day and couldn't stay way"! I do find it gets worse if I am not eating enough often enough. It's like the low blood sugar targets the neck first. I hope you find a computer for the long term.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have knots but do have a stiff neck and muscle tightness...I have the hard painful bumps connected to Bartonella all over my body. I used to get massage every other week but things always return inbetween..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah I have had horrible knots all over my neck and back since I got sick. It's been 16 years and they've never been completely worked out but I have a good PT now so I am hopeful. She said if your muscles are frozen too long the knots can turn into bone?? (ossification)

    ReplyDelete