Wednesday, December 22, 2010

To Alyson, From Lyme Disease


On Christmas day, there will be a special present under the tree just for me. It will be in a giant box with sparkly wrapping paper, and it will be decked out with oodles of colorful ribbons and bows. There will be a label that reads: To Alyson, From Lyme disease.

Okay, so maybe it won't happen exactly that way, but I will be receiving a very special present from Lyme disease on Christmas: starting on that glorious day, I get my first (planned) week off of antibiotics. Following with the special holiday theme, on New Year's Day I start back up on my two antibiotics and continue onward with the current treatment: three weeks on, one week off.

2010 has had its good moments, but let's just say I am more than excited to turn the calendar to 2011. I am very hopeful for what 2011 will bring. I understand it's likely to be another year full of the ups and downs of treatment, and various other unexpected surprises (Lymeprises?), but I am ready to fight like a champion. I am hopeful that I will be able to say that 2011 is the year that I beat Lyme Disease (much quicker than predicted, at that)! I am hopeful that 2011 will be an incredible year full of amazing breakthroughs in diagnosing, treating, and curing Lyme disease.

While I will not be sending out any thank you notes to Lyme disease this year for any of the many presents, er, Lymeprises it has given me, I'm still grateful for all the lessons I've learned because of it in 2010. I am hopeful that I will use the pain to become a better person in 2011.



(I got the lovely image at the top of the page here.)

1 comment: